Host Header Site

Chris chris at nospam.datafoundry.com
Thu Jul 7 13:17:01 UTC 2005

"Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote in message
news:daisa4$vse$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> At 2:24 AM -0400 2005-07-07, Vinny Abello wrote:
>
>>  It doesn't matter how you setup the record pointing to the web
>>  server.
>
> Actually, it does matter.  The name has to resolve directly to
> the IP address.  If you use a CNAME record instead, most browsers and
> proxies will change the name that is being asked for to match the
> "canonical name" that they've been given.  If you give them an IP
> address instead, they go ahead and use the original name as provided.

Really? We have hundreds of hosted web sites using a CNAME to the name of
the hosting server and it's always worked just fine.

I have no doubt that using an A record is preferred but when you have
hundreds of domains pointing at a server and then you change the IP address
of the server only having to change the A record for the CNAME is preferred
to having to edit hundreds of zone files.  I've never seen the use of a
CNAME affect the ability to connect to a web server virtual and there are
plenty of popular web sites using CNAME's.

Chris.