cTLD and DNS upgrade

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jul 6 00:24:04 UTC 2005

> Mark Andrews writes:
> >> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:44:24PM +1000,
> >> Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote

> >> They could call getaddrinfo() like anyone else.
>
> > 	You must be kidding.
>
> Can you elaborate? Are you worried about bootstrapping issues or what?

	getaddrinfo() is a synchronous (it waits) library call that
	depends upon another nameserver.  You don't want those sorts
	of library calls inside a nameserver.  On top of that there
	are views which may return different answers etc.

	You have a perfectly good asynchronous full service resolver
	inside of named.  Why would you want to use a synchronous
	stub resolver which usually also links in NIS and /etc/hosts.

	For an authoritative only server you want the following in
	named.conf.

	9.4
		allow-query-cache { none; };
		recursion no;

	9.3 and earlier

		allow-query { none; };
		recursion no;
		and in each zone
		allow-query { any; };

	That doesn't require a configure option.  I just requires
	a little reading.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org