Named stops responding after reboot?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 21:06:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 17:52, aklist_bind at enigmedia.com wrote:
> I also forgot that I had manually killed iptables (I know it's bad,
> but the server's behind a firewall...I had intended to get iptables

No, an extra firewall usually isn't very helpful; generally it just
breaks things ... like it did to you.

> reconfigured back when I first set up BIND but forgot!)

Fedora default firewalls are usually rather bad anyway, or at least
that was the case back in pre-Fedora Red Hat days. When I was posting
on news://comp.os.linux.networking I thought about putting "service
iptables stop" in my .sig.

> So, killing iptables and using /usr/sbin/named brought it back to

FYI there is no iptables process to "kill". "service iptables stop"
simply flushes the kernel's netfilter rules and resets all default
policies to ACCEPT.

> You may all flame me for being a newbie 'tard now <g>.

No need, you did that yourself. :) Besides, it's good to see people
solving their problems.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header