cTLD and DNS upgrade

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 4 18:28:10 UTC 2005

At 5:09 PM +0200 2005-07-04, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>  * the root name servers operators (which is itself a very diverse
>  group, some are very good at communication with the community they
>  serve, like ISC for F, and some are very secretive),

	They've been doing a reasonably good job for the last twenty
years or so, and I know enough about enough of them reasonably well
that I'm willing to continue to trust them.

>  * ICANN,

	I don't trust them as far as I can throw the planet on which they
exist, but I do trust that there are enough groups watching them that
before they do anything too outrageous, I should hear about it.
Assuming that the root operators themselves are not in revolt against
ICANN, I can then revisit my choice of root server operators at that
time.

>  * The US Departement of Commerce, which approves in writing every
>  change, whatever its importance, in the root zone file, and which will
>  continue to do so
>  (http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/USDNSprinciples_06302005.htm),

	I trust them even less than I do ICANN.  But otherwise, I trust
that the situation will be much the same.

>  * Verisign, which generates the actual zone file and sign it.

	I don't trust the honchos at Verisign, they've seriously screwed
us in the past.  But I do trust the technical people there.  Even
now, they probably have more DNS clue than most any other group on
the planet.

	When it comes to things that management decides to inflict on the
rest of the world, I trust that I will hear about it soon enough that
I can decide whether or not to revisit my choices of root server
operators, or that "solutions" to their crap will be rapidly
forthcoming from other parties that I do trust.

>  Technically, I have no doubt either. These people do very well their
>  technical job. But there are other things in the maintenance of the
>  root... (see the list above).

	Agreed, but I think that the risk of being screwed by the parties
we don't trust is low enough and will have enough lead time that
we're much better off sticking with them than any other alternative.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755