BIND 8.4.5 as cache server, long delay to resolve some domains...

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:51:39 UTC 2005

Jacques-Andre Petit <japetit at ccis.be> wrote:

> Actually, in Belgium, to request a domain name, your name server MUST
> have a .be  A Record.

Interesting.

> This avoid such kind of trouble. So I suppose there is a internet
> directive to act that way.

A recommendation, probably -- can anyone provide a reference?

> Does BIND9 solve this problem? We tried BIND9 on different servers and
> had performance problems (there are currently 35.000 users on the
> network) and were suggested to downgrade to BIND8 to get better results.
> As long as cache fills up, the problem remains but after a while, it
> disappear nearly, with some customers still having delays. It is these
> delays we try to put out of the scene.

I believe BIND9 keeps hold of the original query so that it can respond
to it when the intermediate information (NS addresses) becomes available.
A quick test with your example isfc.org appears to confirm this, with two
servers running 9.2.3 and 9.3.0.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for