BIND 8.4.5 as cache server, long delay to resolve some domains...

Jacques-André Petit japetit at ccis.be
Wed Jan 26 13:53:02 UTC 2005

Thank You, Ronan, for your response

Ronan Flood wrote:

>That's exactly what it does: it drops the request and hopes to have
>the information ready by the time the client asks again.
>

>>Once resolved (ns.another_domain.com), BIND stops and never resolves
>>www.my_domain.net
>>
>>Then, after about 5 seconds, there is a new request from the client
>>(timeout) and BIND can resolve further as it then knows how to resolve
>>ns.another_domain.com.
>>
>>A realworld example would be www.isfc.org  (dig response pasted below)
>>
>>We suppose that this situation is not RFC compliant (where NS pointers
>>must belong to the same root as the domain they manage), and that this
>>

>Which RFC?

Actually, in Belgium, to request a domain name, your name server MUST
have a .be  A Record.
This avoid such kind of trouble. So I suppose there is a internet
directive to act that way.

>>Is there a way to fix that behavior?
>>

>Install BIND9 ...

Does BIND9 solve this problem? We tried BIND9 on different servers and
had performance problems (there are currently 35.000 users on the
network) and were suggested to downgrade to BIND8 to get better results.
As long as cache fills up, the problem remains but after a while, it
disappear nearly, with some customers still having delays. It is these
delays we try to put out of the scene.