Bind configuration

Mandar Kulkarni/PUN/IN/STTL mkulkarni at softcell.co.in
Thu Jan 20 08:50:53 UTC 2005

Greetings!!

These days our organization is planning to migrate the windows based domain
controller to Samba.
In the migration project we hv to install and configure the Linux system in
such a way that it will server as a DC, DHCP, DNS, Samba & LDAP server

To start the project testing I hv installed a RedHat Linux 9 box and hv
configured the DNS and DHCP server on the same. Now initially i want that
the clients which get the ip from DHCP should be  added dynamically in the
DNS zones.

Can any one let me know what configuration ill hv to do on the DNS server
to achieve this.

Also I am facing one problem while stopping and restarting the DNS server.
When i give command to stop named daemon it says stopping named but in fact
daemon keeps on running and while the out put of restart is "named is
already running".

I hv attached the named.conf and zone files for your reference.

named.conf

// generated by named-bootconf.pl
acl stl {
      192.168.2.0/24;
};
options {
      directory "/var/named";
      allow-query { stl; };
      allow-recursion { stl; };
      listen-on { 192.168.2.1; };
      //allow-recursion;
      /*
       * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
       * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
       * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
       * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
       * port by default.
       */
      // query-source address * port 53;
};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
//

controls {
      inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

zone "stl.com" IN {
      type master;
      file "stl.com.zone";