Reverse and Printing

Eugene Grant Eugene_Grant at wrdsb.on.ca
Tue Jan 18 17:15:43 UTC 2005

We have a intermittent issue here that I can not figure out that involves
printing from MAC's running OSX.

We run Bind9  DDNS on a OpenBSD system internally.
DHCP is handed out by a Microsoft 2000 DHCP which is the only machine
allowed to update the Unix DDNS.
We have a varied environment of Microsoft PC's and iMac's running OSX.

For some reason the reverse DB files sometimes get polluted and show
duplicate names in the reverse. This causes the MAC's when printing to
lookup the wrong reverse when printing. (Not sure why they need a reverse
when printing)

The printer will then spit out garbage. Very strange.

Trying to get my head around it but to say the least very odd.

Anyone have any thoughts short of throwing out the MAC's. Microsoft PC's
have no issues.
MAC's have no issues except when printing if there are duplicate reverses.
If only one reverse record then MAC's have no issue printing.

Strange .....

Eugene A. Grant  CISSP, CCSA, CCSE
Security Technical Analyst,
IT Services
Waterloo Region District School Board
Phone (519)570-0003 EXT 4460
(FAX) (519)742-1364
eugene_grant at wrdsb.on.ca

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish and he will stop bothering you.

This E-mail contains legally privileged and confidential information
intended only for the individual or entity named in the message.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is prohibited. If this communication
was received in error, please notify us by reply E-mail and delete
the original message.