dealing with many domains/zones

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 16 06:12:57 UTC 2005

In article <csavpf$21vg$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Robert Montgomery <mogtnomr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I have a large number of domains (500K+), is it
> faster to just rsync the zone & conf files (creating
> multiple masters) instead of using slaves & zone
> transfers?

How often do the zones change?  If they're fairly static, then there's
not much point in optimizing this.  The overhead of checking for serial
number changes in DNS is pretty light.

> I just need to do anything I can to minimize downtime
> during reloads and synching of slaves (or multiple
> masters).

If you use zone transfers, there's no downtime at all.  The server just
reloads zones as it transfers them, with virtually no noticeable
downtime while it's doing it.

If you use rsync, you'll have to reload the nameserver, which will
require it to scan the directory for all the modified files.  If many of
them have changed, and the zone files are large, there could be a
noticeable hiccup.

However, one way in which the rsync may be better is if you need many
zones to update at once.  With zone transfers, it may take quite some
time for thousands of zones to transfer; each will be reloaded as they
do, so they'll be out of sync while others are still waiting to
transfer.  With rsync, you can do all the file transfers first, and then
tell named to reload them all.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA