queryperf warnings aimed at BIND 9.3.0 Win32

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat Jan 15 03:27:37 UTC 2005

I'm trying to gauge the performance on BIND 9.3.0 running on some Windows
Server 2003 boxes vs a FreeBSD 5.3 test box. For some reason whenever I aim
queryperf at one of the Windows boxes, I get the following output on every
query:

Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1534
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1536
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1536
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1537
Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1537

But the queries succeed. If I aim it at a FreeBSD box running BIND, I don't
get this. If I aim it at a Windows box running Microsoft DNS I don't get
this. It's only on Windows Server 2003 running BIND 9.3.0 that I'm seeing
this problem. It's definitely causing skewed test results from the output
as my tests scores are way higher when I've got lower latency to the test
box I'm running queryperf on. I looked at the source for queryperf briefly
and not being a programmer at all, I'm not quite sure why this would be
happening.

Anyone have any ideas? I did some Googling for a while but didn't turn up
anything worthwhile.

Thanks in advance!

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.