notify and views

Jukka Salmi j+bind at 2004.salmi.ch
Fri Jan 14 18:09:27 UTC 2005

Bill Larson --> bind-users (2005-01-13 10:42:56 -0700):
> On Jan 13, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
> > I'm running BIND 9.3.0 (installed from pkgsrc) on two NetBSD 2.0 i386
> > systems. Both systems run a authoritative only (master and slave) and
> > a caching only server. The master has two views defined (one for
> > internal
> > and one for external queries).
> > So far so good, the internal view on the slave is up to date now. But
> > then,
> > instead of updating the external view as well, the slave tries to
> > update
> > the internal view again (this happens immediately after the successful
> > transfer shown above; see the timestamps):
>
> This is related to how a system can function as a master for both an
> internal and external view and insure that zone transfers to a slave
> function properly.  This is answered in the FAQ  that comes with the
> BIND sources, and is found in the top level directory.

Thanks a lot, this solved my problem.

> To deal with your NOTIFY problem I think that you may need to add
> "notify-also" to the zone definitions for your internal and external
> zones.  These will need to specify the internal and external addresses
> for your master to insure that the notify packet gets to the correct
> location.

This wasn't needed, it just worked when I started using multiple
addresses. But because I didn't really understand _why_ it worked
I set 'notify explicit' and the corresponding 'also-notify' setting
to each view. I think that's cleaner anyway.

> I'm not sure how to handle the NOTIFY that will be sent to
> the primary master, maybe someone else has an idea.

Since there's only one master server, and it's the one in the SOA MNAME
field, it won't receive notify messages.

Thanks again!

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: