dns server redundancy

Kris htckav at htc.net
Thu Jan 13 20:43:57 UTC 2005

What's the best way to have dns server redundancy?  In my case, we have
issues with running out of recursive queries (we've jacked that limit up to
10000).  From what I've read, it seems my best bet is to add more
nameservers to the mix.  If I set up the zone information for the nameserver
as so:

nameserver        600       IN         A          10.0.0.3

nameserver        600       IN         A          10.0.0.4

nameserver        600       IN         A          10.0.0.5

does this mean that requests for nameserver will be divided equally among
the 3 servers listed?  Will this, then, help alleviate the issue we're
having with server failure due to excessive recursive lookups?

FYI, here's my current named file.

// named.conf

acl "local" {

                localhost;

                127.0.0.1;

                10.0.0.1;

                10.0.0.2;

                10.0.0.3;

                10.0.0.4;

                };

acl "customers" {

                10.0.0.10;

                10.0.0.11;

                10.0.0.12;

                10.0.0.13;

                };

acl "badusers" {x.x.x.x;

                x.x.x.x;

   };

//

options {

        directory  "/etc/namedb/";

        allow-query { "local"; "customers"; };

        allow-recursion { "local"; "customers"; };

        allow-transfer {

                10.0.0.1;

                10.0.0.2;

        };