http redirection in bind

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Tue Jan 11 17:10:46 UTC 2005

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:15:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: saravanan ganapathy <sarav_gsa at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: http redirection in bind
> To: bind-users at isc.org
>

> --- Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 06:28:32AM -0800,
> >  saravanan ganapathy <sarav_gsa at yahoo.com> wrote
> >  a message of 71 lines which said:
> >
> > > xyz.com.               CNAME    abc.com.
> > >
> > > But the xyz.com mapping is not working. Log file
> > says
> > > that " dns_master_load: myhosts:16: ignoring
> > > out-of-zone data (xyz.com) "
> > >
> > > What may be the problem?
> >
> > Exactly what BIND says. The zone file is not for
> > xyz.com (check
> > $ORIGIN, if there is one, and the stanza in
> > named.conf) so the CNAME
> > record is out of zone.
>
> So how to solve this?

Not truly understanding your problem, but if you happen to be
authoritative for abc.com (doubtful, but possible), instead of
assigning a cname for xyz.com to abc, assign xyz.com to the IP for
abc.com...

xyz.com.  IN A 123.45.67.89

This achieves what you want... but does not do a http re-direct since,
as previously that has to be done via the web server - which is off
topic for bind-users.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin