http redirection in bind

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 11 13:57:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 03:39:31PM +0200,
 Alex R <alex at deviousmeans.net> wrote
 a message of 12 lines which said:

> > 	They run a web server and do the HTTP redirection within the
> > webserver.  Or they publish a CNAME record in the DNS for you.
> >

> Unfortunately that does not work in many cases because of name based
> vhosts.

You should have read "Or they publish a CNAME record in the DNS for
you and of course they set up properly the Web server for the alias."

The only problem is when you want to create an alias to an
uncooperative Web server but I fail to see a legitimate use case for
this...