Problem with Bind9

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Jan 7 03:26:51 UTC 2005

At 10:47 AM 1/6/2005, you wrote:
>In article <crh4tn$dml$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Mario Sergio Candian <mscandian at FreeBSDBrasil.Com.Br> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I have a FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE box, and I run some services, like as Bind9,
> > squid, apache...
> >
> > I have been some problems with Bind9. In the messages log, I have this
> > line:
> >
> > Jan  5 13:17:15 firewall named[594]: client 127.0.0.1#22619: no more
> > recursive clients: out of memory
> >
> > Then, the named is stopped, and I need to start it always. What can I do
> > to fix it? Someone know the cause of the problem?
>
>#The server ran out of virtual memory.  Add more RAM and swap space.
>#
>#--
>#Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
>#Arlington, MA
>#*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
>
>I'm getting the "no more recursive clients" error as well, but mine is due
>to "quota reached."  I know I can increase the quota in named.conf, but that
>is just a band-aid for the real issue.  The server in questions runs as the
>pop3/backup smtp server and as a backup DNS server.  I've found some users
>that are nailing DNS with queries and we contact them to clean up their
>issues.  Is there or are the plans to have a way to throttle or limit the
>number of queries that can be made from one source?
>
>KA

In this situation, by default FreeBSD only allocates a maximum of 512MB per
process. If named tries to use more than that, it will crash (as would any
other program) with out of memory errors. You need to adjust FreeBSD to be
allowed to allocate more memory than 512MB to any running application.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.