is BIND removing zones?

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Sun Feb 27 18:49:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

As we are managing several thousand zones, we are structuring our zone
files by directions, e.g.

abc.com -> a/ab/abc.com.db
bbc.com -> b/bb/bbc.com.db

I noticed a strange behaviour: Sometimes, all .db-files of a certain
direction like b/bb/ are lost and BIND reports in the logfile:

2005-02-16 14:30:08 error: zone bbc.com/IN:

But I can proof that the zone file onces exists, because before it was
loaded successfully. This happened more than once and for some reason it
always happens to the whole direction. How can this happen? The system
is definetely not compromised and there's no script in the set of
scripts for automated zone generation, that deals with rmdir() or
unlink(). So I suspect BIND to be responsible. In what conditions does
BIND delete directions inluding its content?

As said before, this happened several times. In the end, it's everytime
another directory that becomes deleted. As the systems are not very old,
I doubt that it's a filesystem problem.

Regards
Marten