Reverse Problem

Chris Wittenberg cwittenberg at annenberg.edu
Sat Feb 26 02:55:34 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm running bind 9.2.1 on a solaris box.

We noticed some inconsistencies with email between us and usc.edu -
causing some email to bounce with an error "you don't have permission
to send email".

Further checking revealed that of our ip ranges (we have 4 class C's),
one of them will not do a reverse lookup unless you are doing the
lookup directly from our server: 206.117.187.1. According to my logs,
there are no problems loading the zone (207.151.131), and all lookups
work perfectly - but only if the lookup is done using our server.

If you do a "host" or "nslookup" from another server, I get:
Host 8.131.151.207.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

All other networks perform the reverse lookup properly (i.e.,
206.117.187, 206.117.219), and all forward resolution works properly.

I am royally stumped as to why just one range wouldn't be working. Can
anyone shed some light on what I should check on?

Thanks very much for any help! If you need more info, just let me know.

-Chris