MS DNS - Internal WWW Resolving to External IP

rich251076 at hotmail.com rich251076 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 25 16:47:34 UTC 2005

For the purpose of describing my problem we have a domain called,

mydomain.com :)

In my domain I have one MS DNS Server. This sever allows my users to
resolve internal hostnames and if they wish to browse the internet, the
DNS server forwards to my ISP's DNS servers so users can resolve the
desired websites.

I have an IIS web server in the DMZ on our network. External users,
customers and so forth have no problems browsing to my website hosted
on this machine.

When my internal users try to resolve the website they never get to the
machine.

Tests show that:

1. Internal users can get into the website if they put the internal IP
address of the site into their browser

2. NSLOOKUP for www.mydomain.com on their machines resolved the
external IP of the site

I have entered an ANAME record on my DNS server for www.mydomain.com,
however when I perform an NSLOOKUP for www.mydomain.com it still
resolved to the external IP.

My questions are as follows:

1. Why can't my internal staff get see our website when they resolve it
using the external IP, is some kind of loopback happening in the
firewall e.g. traffic is going out and coming back in?

2. How can I setup MSDNS to resolve www.mydomain.com to the internal
ANAME entry I created?