BIND 9.2.3: complains about low TTL's on startup?

Stefan Juon stefanjuon at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 16:52:33 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote in message news:<cv38m6$6k1$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> > Hello, I'm actually migrating from BIND8 to BIND9 (9.2.3). I have some
> > entries with smaller TTL's (600) than the default TTL of the zone
> > (which is set to 43200).
> > Everytime I startup the named it complains like that:
> >
> > Feb 17 17:55:56 xxx named[19917]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning]
> > dns_master_load: x.y.in-addr.arpa.db:753: TTL set to prior TTL (43200)
> >
> > Sure, it's just a warning and the TTL is in fact on 600 as desired. So
> > does somebody know the reason of these warnings? Should I take care
> > about them?
> >
> > Cheers, Stefan
>
> 	You have different records in the same RRset <name,type,class>
> 	with different TTLs.  This is not allowed and is being
> 	corrected.

Mark, thanks so far. You were right, I had different TTL's in some
resource records. What I was wondering: Even it complained on startup
the TTL's have had set different (which I checked using the debug
option of nslookup). So is it jus better to avoid different TTL's in
the same resource record or is it just "forbidden"?
I found this notes under
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind9-users&m=106609018102984&w=2
which seems to be also from you:

	Differing TTLs break reverse validation (PTR-> A or AAAA).
	Differing TTLs break MX processing.

So what does that mean..?

Thanks, Stefan :-)