logging on bind 9

Boyack, Kurt Kurt.Boyack at pyxis.com
Tue Feb 22 04:34:43 UTC 2005

>=20
> what command/directive can I place in my conf file so that
> each and every dns request gets logged?
=20
You can do this without modifying named.conf. All you have to
do is run "rndc querylog". By default it will log queries to
syslog.

> and further, is it possible to also log when a particular view
> has been offered to the requester?

With BIND 9.3, rndc querylog also logs the view. I'm not sure=20
exactly which version that functionality was introduced in, but
I noticed it after upgrading to 9.3.0rc4 (from 9.2.x).

Note that running "rndc status" will show you if querylog is=20
enabled or not.

> I want to determine both if (a) my two views are being
> distributed correctly, and (b) determine why an internal request
> for an internal FQDN  takes several seconds where an internal
> request for an external address gets resolved instantly. I would
> like to try and see what is happening to my internal request.

I'm not sure that query logging will help with this, but the
following page might help: http://www.dollardns.net/bind/named.conf