what is wrong with this?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 22 00:02:20 UTC 2005

In article <cvdodb$1jjj$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "ozi" <oguz at ce.yildiz.edu.tr>
wrote:

> named starts at boot. So I looked into boot messages by dmesg >
> boot.messages but nothing related to bind or named there.
> "locate log | grep named" returns nothing. Same goes for grep bind,
> too... where should I look for named log messages?

I don't know what you expect "locate log | grep named" to do.  Locate
prints the full paths of all files named "log", and "grep named" will
show any of those filenames that contain "named".  But named doesn't
have its own log file (unless you've customized your logging), it just
logs to the system's normal log file.  You want to do:

grep named /path/to/your/log/file

Depending on the operating system, your logfile may be
/var/adm/messages, /var/log/syslog, or something similar to these.  Look
in your /etc/syslog.conf to see where it sends daemon log messages.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA