queries not logged?

Robin Lynn Frank rlfrank at paradigm-omega.com
Mon Feb 21 05:14:40 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews wrote:
>>What do you get when you do "rndc status"?
>>You may need to turn on the logging by doing a "rndc querylog".
>>
>>-Steve
>>
>>Quoting Robin Lynn Frank <rlfrank at paradigm-omega.com>:
>>

>>>Does anyone see any obvious reason from the example below as to why
>>>queries are not being logged.  Just about everything else, including
>>>lame-servers are logged.
>>>logging {
>>>	channel default_syslog {
>>>		syslog daemon;
>>>		severity info;
>>>	};
>>>
>>>	channel log_file {
>>>		file "named.log" versions 4 size 10m;
>>>		severity dynamic;
>

> 	"severity dynamic;" requires logging to be enabled before anything
> 	is logged.
>

>>>		print-category yes;
>>>		print-severity yes;
>>>		print-time yes;
>>>
>>>	};
>>>
>>>	category default	{ default_syslog; log_file; };
>>>	category panic		{ default_syslog; log_file; };
>>>	category query		{ log_file; };
>>>	category security	{ log_file; };
>>>	category cname		{ log_file; };
>>>	category lame-servers	{ log_file; };
>>>	category update	{ log_file; };
>>>	};
I found something interesting.  This is on a Mandrake 10.0 box that
starts named with an init script.  When the box is booted, named comes
up, but not rndc.  If I issue a /etc/init.d/named restart, named
restarts and rndc starts.  Once that is done, and I issue a rndc
querylog, logging is almost as expected (except queries are logged to
both log_file and syslog).  I'm looking at the init script because it
doesn't do what many other Mandrake init script do, i.e., issue a
restart rather than a simple start.

It looks like a script problem rather than a bind problem.  Guess I will
tinker with the script.

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature