round-robin on bind9.2.1

Boyack, Kurt Kurt.Boyack at pyxis.com
Sun Feb 20 16:28:18 UTC 2005

> > I am using bind9.2.1 on my debian woody. It works
> > well.Now I need to implement round-robin on bind.
> > When I include 'rrset-order' in named.conf, it says
> > that "/etc/bind/named.conf:29: option 'rrset-order' is
> > not implemented ".
> >
> > What to do? How to setup round-robin on bind 9.2.1 ?
> >
> > Sarav
> >=20
> Sarav,
>=20
> To the best of my knowledge RRSET-ORDER was only implemented=20
> in Bind versions greater than 9.2.3.
>=20

Rrset-order was introduced in 8.2 and dropped with 9.1, but it is not =
needed to do round-robin; it is used to turn round-robin off.

> But by default I believe that the records were returned in=20
> "cyclic" order in version 9.2.3 and below.

The default since 4.9 has been to round-robin (give out multiple records =
in cyclic order). All you have to do is add more records and it will =
round-robin by default. Note that BIND 9 rotates all records types, but =
earlier versions did not rotate PTR records.

All of this information is in DNS and BIND and available on-line.