Setting up BIND by new user.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 18 03:39:09 UTC 2005

In article <cv3e8r$jvn$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Murray Nelson <picker at guitarlesson.tv> wrote:

> My question is I guess "How does BIND know that I am calling my
> nameserver ns1.mymansions.com ???

When it looks up ns1.mymansions.com it notices that it resolves to the
IP address of the host it's running on.

> How does BIND know that ns1.mymansions.com is the " zone" for
> www.mymansions.net  , mymansions.biz  , mymansions.com ?????

You apparently don't know what "zone" means in DNS; a zone is a portion
of the DNS hierarchy that's managed as a single collection on a common
set of servers.

Anyway, the way that servers discover that ns1.mymansions.com is the
server that hosts those domains is via delegation records.  The .com
server contains a record that looks like:

mymansions.com. IN NS ns1.mymansions.com.

and the .biz server contains:

mymansions.biz. IN NS ns1.mymansions.com.

and so on.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA