Internal DNS?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 16 22:49:29 UTC 2005

Fred wrote:

>I recently switched another company's domain over to our host so we
>could manage the site. So we pointed the domain to our nameservers and
>it works. EXCEPT from teh company location, where, when they type in
>the URL they get the old site still. Its not a cache issue, I know that
>much. But, I have no idea how, internally, the site could still be
>pointing to the old host.

You're probably going to have to trace this starting back at a client
which is exhibiting the problem. To what nameserver(s) is the client
pointing? How is that nameserver resolving the name? How is it
configured (forwarding, authoritative, caching)? If it's forwarding,
follow the forwarding chain. If it's authoritative, then deconfigure the
stale zone. If it's caching, then what root servers does it have
configured?  Follow the delegation chain down from those root servers, etc.

                                       - Kevin