Name server configuration, permitt or deny access?

Sebastian Castro Avila secastro at nic.cl
Tue Feb 15 17:52:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:21:09 -0500, L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com> wrote:

>      Can someone tell me where or how to configure the controls for which
> computers (or IP's) are permitted or restricted from using the name
> server.

Your name server is acting as a resolver? as a primary? as a secondary?

To restrict the access to a particular function of your name server, you
should use "allow-transfer", "allow-query" or "allow-update".

In particular, if you need to restrict which clients are allowed to use
your server as resolver, use this:

acl resolver {
	127.0.0.1;
	10.20.30.0/24;   // Your own networks here
	10.21.30.0/24;   // Your own networks here
};

and in the section "options", add

allow-query { resolver; };

If you have further questions, send them to the list.

Best Regards

Sebastian E. Castro Avila             sebastian at nic.cl
Administrador de DNS, NIC Chile
Fono: (2) 9407705                  Fax  : (2) 9407701