Lack of logging in Bind 8.4

Jim McNamara jim.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:12:28 UTC 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have BIND 8.4 running in a Debian stable enviornment. I've been over
google and the archives at isc.org, but can't find a named.conf file
that logs everything. What I would like to do is have every request
that comes into the DSN server be logged. I know the logs will get
huge in a short time, this isn't a permanent  setting, more just
something to try out. Here is the log section from my named.conf:

logging{
        channel "simple_log" {
        file "/var/log/named/bind.log" versions 3 size 5m;
        severity debug 10;
        print-time yes;
        print-severity yes;         print-category yes;
        };
};

I created the /var/log/bind/bind.log file as root, and did a chmod
a+w, so whatever level BIND runs at it should log. In over an hour,
not one thing has been written to this file. Is my eror something is
the grammar of my log request?

Thanks,
Jim