Migrating Microsoft AD Domain to Existing BIND9 Infrastructure

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Feb 14 15:22:05 UTC 2005

"Millar, Jay" <Jay.Millar at stjohn.org> wrote:

>To clarify, there are actually three domains involved:
>
>   domain.com - static, BIND9 master server A
>ad.domain.com - dynamic, AD domain, BIND9 master server A
>    other.com - dynamic, AD domain, MS DNS master server B
>
>We do in fact want to migrate the hosts in the 'other.com' domain to our =
>existing 'ad.domain.com' domain using AD with our BIND9 master.  The 'ad.=
>domain.com' is an existing AD domain which we have managed using BIND9 fo=
>r several years.  In the end, we will have accomplished consolidation of =
>our internal domain space (which will greatly simplify things for us), as=
> well as having eliminated our MS DNS server infrastructure (which most o=
>f us here see as a very good thing).
>
>So, my theory was that the migration from one domain to the other would s=
>imply involve 'unregistering' systems in the 'other.com' domain, then re-=
>registering them as new systems in 'ad.domain.com' one at a time.

I think that this will work from a DNS perspective.  You probably
will want to change the "domain suffix" list in the TCP/IP configuration
on each machine as you change its domain.

As I am not an AD expert, I do not know what will happen with respect
to the ability to access Windows resources when the machines are moved
into a new AD forest.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov