BIND Help Required

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 12 18:35:45 UTC 2005

In article <cuku2l$25ns$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Jo Rodriguez" <jojo472 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building a server that is to be placed at a co-lo provider, I would
> like to set up DNS but I haven't done it before, but I know how to use it
> once it's set up. I have a few quickies that are probably easy for you guys.
>
> If I use nslookup and set my nameserver as this server, all my records seem
> to be set up correctly and things look like they work fine.
>
> It's been 24 hours since my first changes, how does the rest of the world to
> see my DNS records (I've lowered the TTL to very low numbers)? Another way
> of rewording that question is, how are my own changes propagated?

When the TTLs of the old records run out, the caching servers will
discard them and query your server again.  You have to lower the TTLs
*before* you make the changes that you want to propagate quickly.

I'm assuming that the domain is delegated to your nameservers from the
appropriate parent zone.

> I have a zone mydomain.com along with a few others, and I have created A
> records for the hosts ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. I'm not sure
> what the NS record for this zone should be?

If those are the authoritative nameservers for the zone, the NS records
should point to them.

> If I have a working set of nameservers, i.e ns1.mydomain.com and
> ns2.mydomain.com, I'll be fine. All of my hosts are using ns1.mydomain.com
> as a nameserver so naturally they wont work until I get that one right.

The hosts that point to your servers in their resolver configuration
don't care about the NS records.  NS records are used by all the *other*
caching servers on the Internet.

Why don't you tell us the *real* domain names, so we can tell you if
they're correctly set up?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA