BIND master to master transfer

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Feb 11 23:35:34 UTC 2005

> I'm running a master and slave BIND 9.3 servers. These serve my AD
> domain. I would like to move the master to server 2 (slave) and then
> have the current master be slave. What's the safest way to do this
> without having the AD DC freak along with the Exchange2k3 server.
> Thanks
>
> Jason

	* setup allow-update on the new master commented out.
		You may want to test the acl on dummy zone.
	* setup allow-transfer on the new master.  Confirm that
	  you can transfer off the slave to the new master using
	  "dig" from the old master.
	* setup the masters clause commentede out on the old master.
	* disable updates on the old master.
	* wait for the old and new masters to report the same serial.
	* flush the zone on the new master.  Check the file on disk
	  to make sure it has the right serial.

		rndc flush zone

	* make the new master a master zone and reload.

		uncomment allow-update
		comment out masters
		change type to master
		notify yes;

	* using nsupdate change the soa's MNAME to the name of the
	  new master.  This also checks that you did the previous
	  step correctly.

		nsupdate -d
		zone <name of zone>
		server <address of new server>
		send

	* convert the old master to a slave and reload

		comment out allow-update
		uncomment masters
		change type to slave

	* check that the old master is tranfering from the new master.

	* covert the other slave to slave off the new master.

	* do tidy ups
		remove commented out clauses
		optionally:
		turn off notify on the old master, "notify no;"
		turn off out going zone transfers on the old
		master "allow-transfer { none; };"

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org