Need help .....

peter.marshall at caris.com peter.marshall at caris.com
Fri Feb 11 14:27:34 UTC 2005

I have a dns server (rh9, running bind).

All it currently does is serve my domain, and if it can not find what
it is looking for it then forwareds to my providers dns.  One of our
partners would like mail from us to go directly to their mailserver
instead of first passing through their providers.  I am not 100% sure
how to do this as my attempt made it so no mail gets there and we can
no longer go to their website.  He is my forwared and revers files for
their site (names and ip's changed ...).  COuls someone tell me what I
am doing wrong ?

Thanks,

; This is a master zone file for theirdomain.nl
$ttl 38400
@       IN      SOA     argon.mydomain.com. hostmaster.mydomain.com. (
                        991273041
                        10800
                        3600
                        432000
                        38400 )
; Define the name servers, MX reoord and A record for this domain
@               IN      NS      argon.mydomain.com.
@               IN      NS      krypton.mydomain.com.
@               IN      MX      10 mail.theirdomain.nl.
@               IN      A       A.A.A.50
;
; Define a localhost lookup
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
;
www                   IN      A           A.A.A.50
theirdomain.nl        IN      A           A.A.A.54
mail.theirdomain.nl   IN      CNAME       theirdomain.nl
;

And here is the reverse one.
; This is a master zone file for A.A.A
$ttl 38400
@       IN      SOA     argon.mydomain.com. hostmaster.mydomain.com. (
                        991272575
                        10800
                        3600
                        432000
                        38400 )
; Define the name servers this reverse domain
@               IN      NS      argon.mydomain.com.
@               IN      NS      krypton.mydoamin.com.
54              IN      PTR     theirdomain.nl.
;
50              IN      PTR     www.theirdomain.nl.
54              IN      PTR     mail.theirdomain.nl.
;