EDNS and BIND 9.2.3?

vze78se7 at verizon.net vze78se7 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 10 23:41:08 UTC 2005

Hi All: I have BIND 9.2.3 running on FreeBSD 5.2.1

The installation has been running fine for about a year now, but BIND
has stopped resolving external queries with the error:

"connection timed out; no servers could be reached".

I've dug around and found some mention about TLD servers returning
ipv6 "extended" DNS responses greater than 512 bytes, which may be
causing BIND to timeout. I tested with:

dig +norec +bufsize=4096 soa com @a.root-servers.net

and DID get a response, so I assume that the EDNS response is the
problem.

My question is, are there any resolutions to this problem other than
upgrading to 9.3.0 and turning off ipV6 with "named -v4"?

I read that 9.2.5 may fix this problem, but is there a timeframe that
it will be released?

If I need an immediate resolution, is there any downside to upgrading
to 9.3.0 immediately? Or is there anything else I can do to get the
existing 9.2.3 to work?

Thanks...AK