Another strange dns question (and I have RTFM)

Roy S. Rapoport bind9-users at ols.inorganic.org
Thu Feb 10 18:34:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:15:11AM +0000, Nick Brooks wrote:
> I'm in the process of upgrading my server at home and have migrated from
> RH 7 to Fedora Core 3.
[...]
> 	; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @192.168.1.100 demon.net
> 	;; global options:  printcmd
> 	;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This is kind of silly, so my apologies for stating the obvious, but at
least some flavours of RH (I use RHEL3 at work) seem to come with firewall
enabled by default these days.  Is it possible that by default your FC3
configuration is firewalling port 53?

You might want to turn on query logging and seeing if the system gets it;
you might also want to use tcpdump to see if you see this traffic, though I
don't recall off the top of my head whether tcpdump works at a level lower
or higher than the firewall.

-roy