Trying it install BIND 9.3 on W2K

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 8 01:08:36 UTC 2005

> This is probably a stupid question. I know most wouldn't even touch
> Win2K. But here goes anyway. I installed the WIN32 binary  of BIND 9.3
> on W2K and the installation went okay but when I try to run the service
> it does not start and I get the error message 'Error 1067 process
> terminated unexpectedly'. Any ideas?

	Read the Application Log in the EventViewer.  It will tell you
	why named exited.

	Create a named.conf.  The default location is
	C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\etc\named.conf

	Specify a directory in options.  Turn off writing of the
	pid file.

	e.g.
		options {
			directory "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\etc";
			pid-file none;
		};

	Run "rndc-confgen -a".

	Set the permissions of C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\etc\named.conf
	and C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\etc\rndc.key so that named can
	read them.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC