Can one mirror a web server ?

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:19:25 UTC 2005

My "news" in this area is old, but as you might imagine, DNS servers
that do this have been created and are used extensively.
F5's 3-DNS is a commercial product to do this.
The technique can be and is done, but can present a variety of problems,
and the best solution needs to fit the situation.  For obvious reasons,
static
and other stateless websites have the fewest issues.

My recollection from a few years ago is that browsers typically reused
name/number associations for thirty minutes after they got them
(ignoring TTLs),
which meant that someone using a site right before the fail-over
might find they can't reach it for up to 30 minutes after the fail-over
unless they reset their browser somehow.  Depending upon who
uses your site and for what, this might be a big issue for you.  It
seems
like an obvious area for browser makers to improve their software
so perhaps current browsers do better, but if you depend upon that,
you still may consider the consequences of ignoring those who
don't run the latest browser software.

To give your site maximum redundancy, you typically use such DNS
methods along with BigIP/Localdirector type load balancing.

John Wobus