Multi-master scenario

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Thu Feb 3 05:41:38 UTC 2005

Paul Vixie wrote:
> Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> writes:
>

>>When a refresh occurs due to the Refresh timer going off, it will check
>>each master serially, and pull a transfer from one if it has a higher
>>serial number than the local copy.  It doesn't try them both
>>concurrently.
>

> it will try them all, transfer only from a master offering the best currently
> available serial number.  this is tricky given "sequence number arithmetic"
> and 32-bit rounding.
Why is this tricky? I don't believe our serial numbers have ever wrapped
around a 32-bit number boundry... That's a lot of changes...

Of course, in theory, both masters will always be identical within a few
seconds...

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature