Bind does not resolve host names an returns error.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 3 01:24:59 UTC 2005

In article <ctqmtl$1p6i$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "schnell-im-netz Gmbh - DS" <sennfelder at schnell-im-netz.de> wrote:

> Hello
>

> We use a Debian Box with BIND 9.2.4
> Bind is hosting nearly 800 Domain.
> But sometimes, our Dialup User cant resolv Hostnames.
> Bind responses with and Servfail.
> When i restart the Server the problem is solved, but why
> does it stop resolving some domain?
>
> Has anyone had this problem before?
> What can be the problem?

Is the problem with domains that you host, or domains that you're
looking up recursively?

If the latter, it often means that one or more of the authoritative
servers for the domain they're trying to look up is lame.  BIND doesn't
try a different server for the domain when it runs into a lame server,
it just returns a SERVFAIL error.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA