dns entry for top domain name

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 2 02:41:08 UTC 2005

John wrote:

>>>There *is* a problem, however, in setting "$ORIGIN ." followed by an "@"
>>>entry. Because of the preceding $ORIGIN, named's parser interprets the
>>>"@" as a root-zone entry. In your logs, you should have had another
>>>error message specifying exactly the line on which the fatal error
>>>occurred. Why did you omit that error message?
>>>

>ok...i  started with named with debug and now it shows me the line
>error which it failed.
>
>/bind-8.4.6/src/bin/named
>named[ID 295310 daemon.warning] foo/foo.com:14:foo.com: CNAME and
>OTHER data error
>named[ID 295310 daemon.error] master zone "foo.com" (IN) rejected due
>to errors (serial 2005020102)
>named[25788]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] master zone "foo.com" (IN)
>rejected due to errors (serial 2005020102)
>named[25789]: [ID 295310 daemon.notice] Ready to answer queries.
>

>and the file has...
>
>$ORIGIN foo.com.
>$TTL 604800     ; 7 days
>@       IN SOA  localhost. info.localhost. (
>                                2005020102 ; serial
>                                86400      ; refresh
>                                900        ; retry
>                                604800     ; expire
>                                86400      ; minimum
>                                ) ;
>                        NS      localhost.      ;
>

>*                       A       192.168.1.4
>foo.com.       CNAME   giddieup.dnsalias.com.
>

>which means that that CNAME line is not being liked as it is...but I
>thought you said linking CNAME like that is fine..

There's no problem with the *target* of an alias being in another
domain. However, the name of a zone cannot own a CNAME record, since the
rule is that when a name owns a CNAME, it cannot own records of any
other type, and obviously the name of a zone owns an SOA record and at
least one NS record.

- Kevin