Can run BIND with root permission ?

Holger Honert holger.honert at signal-iduna.org
Wed Dec 28 06:33:21 UTC 2005

Truong Tan Son schrieb:

>Dear Sir,
>
>I installed BIND-9.3.2 on Redhat, runs with root permission, and the server responds good.
>
>I read some Docs that request to have an user to run BIND
>
>Need I have new user to run BIND ?
>
>Which is better to use root and another user ?
>
>Please give me advice.
>
>Thanks you and best regards,
>--

Of course you don't have to run bind as root.
If you want to run named with a user who has least privilege or you
intend to run named in a chroot() environment you are welcome.
Optionally you can define a group and add the user running named and
other users who are authorized to edit/change zone datas files.

Regards Holger