bind on DMZ

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Dec 22 21:17:15 UTC 2005

Damien Hull wrote:
> I would like to setup a name server for a domain on a DMZ (192.168.1.0).
> Is there anything special I need to do when I'm on a privet address space?
>
> My firewall/router will be forwarding DNS traffic to the server.
>
> --
> You can get my public PGP key at https://keyserver.pgp.com

I have been using my DNS server in the DMZ without any problems.

Problems started when my DNS server also became my NAT router and my
ISP constantly kills my session and assigns me a new ip-address.

Rebooting my system automatically every night solved that too.

Bind does not know how to deal with interfaces that change ip numbers.
Restart bind solves this.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--