Req: Total beginners help - Win Q.

Techie nomail at here.not.easynews.com
Tue Dec 20 08:27:30 UTC 2005

Problems solved.

I figure out, after some testing and crawling and digging that the user
account "named" as entered into windows upon setup is faulty and does not
allow the running of the named.exe as a service.

The solution was really simple.

Set BIND to run as a local account service instead, once logged in as admin
on the Windows box and the issue is resolved.

This works for Windows XP Pro at least.

How it would impact something like Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 is
yet to be seen, but since those two are more server oriented, it is likely
to work with the named. user account on those.

Also unknown still is the security precautions of this setup however
running double software firewalls and one hardware firewall should take
care of that problem for the time being.

Sorry for bugging you all, but thanks again for the interesting notes and
PTR's from you all. I guess I will now be porting all my stuff over to BIND
rather than any other alternatives.

Thanks a million guys.

Techie