rfc 2136

Paul Vixie vixie at sa.vix.com
Mon Dec 19 19:19:16 UTC 2005

"Gamer" <affengaul at gmx.de> writes:

> I`ve studied rfc 2136 in order to understand the dynamic update procedure
> and one thing still confuses me! Is there a set of standard prerequisites
> a e.g. dhcp server uses to check if an update is valid?  In 2136 there
> are many prereqs defined but wich of them are really used and when?

which prerequisites will be used is entirely application (e.g., dhcp)
dependent.  in general, you'll see that a delete or modify operation will
depend on the existence of the thing being deleted (either an rrset or a
name), and an insert operation will depend on the nonexistence of the
thing being added (almost always an rrset but sometimes a name).
--
Paul Vixie