bind9 (9.3.1) stops responding on interfaces

Chris Murton chris at areti.net
Tue Dec 20 13:50:35 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

Running 2.6.14 on a Debian box with bind 9.3.1, and after about 10-15
minutes of serving requests certain interfaces that bind is listening on
appear to become "flooded" by requests - and bind stops responding to
any queries on those addresses.

The other addresses used continue to operate as normal.

We run two seperate views on each bind installation, and I can repeat
this with two machines both running the same version of bind, operating
system and kernel.

When I say flooded, the netstat output shows the UDP Recv-Q for the port
binding like so:

udp        0      0 x.x.x.15:53         0.0.0.0:*
udp        0      0 x.x.x.11:53         0.0.0.0:*
udp   103340      0 x.x.x.10:53         0.0.0.0:*

I can't trace this back to occurring after any particular event, but if
there's any diagnostics anyone can think of running to narrow this down
- I'd be happy to do them.

This particular interface (.10) will be the one getting the most
requests by far, if that's any use. I've checked firewall rules etc, and
everything seems correct for normal operation.

The only thing that can be done to mitigate the issue is to restart
bind, and the problem goes away (for the next 10-15 minutes).

Thanks a lot,
Chris.

--
Chris Murton
e: chris at areti.net, t: +44 (0)20 8315 5800

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by the
Areti Internet Ltd email scanning service, and was found to be clean.