Reverse IPv6 lookups with dynamic updates

Steven LatrŽe steven.latre at ugent.be
Fri Dec 16 19:21:40 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I'm experiencing some extreme performance loss with a Corba application
since I installed bind. The reason I installed bind was to speed up the
application (there was some trouble with the dns server of my test
network giving the wrong IP to the Corba naming server).
Now since the IPv6 addresses of my machines change often I'm using
dynamic update (TSIG and the nsupdate tool) to register the DNS records
in bind. For now, I'm only adding AAAA records. I'm guessing that the
reason my Corba application slows down is because he can't perform a
reverse lookup (I'm not sure that the Corba Naming Service does a
reverse lookup but it's my best shot).

Now, I want to make sure that reverse lookups are also possible. Before
installing bind I knew practically nothing about all this. I've done
some searching on the web but can't really find an answer. So what I
want to do is adding a simple PTR record (right?) to the DNS server with
the nsupdate tool.
The only extra difficulty (I think) is that my IPv6 addresses can be
realy everything, I don't have a predefined network id or something like
that. However, in all the sites I found in google the tutorials mention
that I need to define this somehow.

Can someone help me with this?

Steven