resolver cache....

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 16 18:35:30 UTC 2005

sanjib das wrote:

>hi
>for maintaining cache in a resolver I always run the caching server
>locally...
>Is there any other way to mainatain cache in the resolver without running
>caching server.....
>
>please comment on this.....
>your comments are always valuable for me...

Well, you didn't mention what platform you were running on. Solaris, for
instance, has "nscd", which can cache DNS resolution information (among
other kinds), although I've had problems in the past with its
address-sorting and TTL behaviors, so I usually disable the "hosts" part
of its caching functionality whenever possible. I'm sure there are other
mechanisms on other platforms that can perform this name-lookup-caching
function.

Beyond that, if you want a multiplatorm solution, you might take a look
at the lwresd stuff in the BIND distribution. I've never worked with it,
though, so don't consider that a recommendation.

                                                            - Kevin