Why would I want to allow Bind to allow recursive queries in my situation?

Tony Toews ttoews at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 14 22:28:26 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>>I'm running Bind 9.3.1 to provide DNS services for a few very low traffic domains
>>hosted on the same webserver.  10 K page views per day at the most.
>>
>>I can't think of any reason why I'd want to allow recursive queries.   And, if I do,
>>this could be a DofS source, correct?
>>
>If you're just hosting domains, sure.

Ok, thanks.

>But, presumably you have clients that need DNS resolution. How do they
>get that? On a different nameserver or set of nameservers? Those ones
>would need to allow recursion.

No, I'm just running a stand alone Windows 2003 Server as a web server at a friends
house on an ADSL connection with a fixed IP address.

And yes that means I'm the most dangerous of people to this mailing list.   Someone
who really doesn't know what they are doing.  <smile>  But hey, at least I'm asking.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.