difference between host and nslookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 14 00:12:10 UTC 2005

Steven Latre wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the difference between host and nslookup?
>When I try to do a search with host I get the right results, however when I try
>to do the same search with nslookup it fails (he can't find the address)

Short answer: nslookup sucks a lot, host sucks less.

Longer answer: your problem could have any of a number of possible
causes, but the most likely one is that nslookup is failing its
reverse-resolution of whatever nameserver it is trying to query. That's
fatal for most versions of nslookup. host doesn't even try to do that
reverse-resolution: it just looks up what you tell it to look up;
nothing more, nothing less.

                                                      - Kevin