queries

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Dec 13 15:39:40 UTC 2005

> Greetings, I set up an internal DNS with BIND 9.3.1
> Everything seemed to be working great until I went to a couple of
> different clients and the lookups ...well they didn't really fail, but
> the client couldn't resolve to my internal hosts ...could it be the
> clients?  I am using a class c network and allowed queries from
> 192.168.1.0/24.

> I do nslookup from the client and everything works things resolve, but
> the browser adds .com??

> I know this is prolly simple, just stuck.

You didn't really provide enough details to be sure, but if the client
is a Unix/Linux-type look at /etc/resolv.conf, in particular lines
like:

   domain com
or
   search ... com ...

and
   options ndots:N

where N is some number.  Doing "man resolv.conf" should be of some
assistance in determining what you really want there.

If it is a Windows machine, there is probably some similar control panel.

John