SOA serial rotation

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 11:06:56 UTC 2005

In article <dn221j$115d$1 at sf1.isc.org>, base60 <nobody at whitehouse.com>
wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <dmnge6$1l86$1 at sf1.isc.org>, base60 <nobody at whitehouse.com>
> > wrote:

> >>Change it to a zero, let it flush through and then reset.
> >

> > That hasn't worked in many years.  BIND 4 treated serial# 0 specially,
> > but I think this was removed in BIND 8.
>
> It worked for Solaris Bind8.... haven't tried it in bind9.

According to offlist responses and "DNS and BIND" 4th ed it definitely
doesn't work in BIND9.  Here's the text from the book, p152:

   If your slaves run a version of BIND newer than 4.8.1 (and we pray
   you're not using 4.8.1) but older than BIND 9, you can take advantage
   of the special serial number 0.

Sam