Secondary DNS is not updated quickly from Primary

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Dec 4 12:51:01 UTC 2005

> Dear All,
>
> DNS Setup:
> 1. Primary DNS on Solaris 9 with BIND 9.2.3 ( Solaris package )
> 2. Secondary DNS is on Solaris 10 with Bind 9.2.4 ( build in of Solaris 10 )
> Problem :
>
> 1. When i changed "Zone" on "Primary DNS" with updated "Serial no" in Zone
> file & then used  "rndc reload / rndc reload
>    <zone name>" on Primary DNS.
>    "Secondary DNS" zone is not updated immediately even i kept "refresh rate
> as 5 min".(i uses rndc reload on
>     Secondary DNS) but when i uses "rndc reload <zone name>" on "Secondary
> DNS" then zone gets transfer immediately.
>    Is this bug in BIND 9.2.3? because i had not faced problem with "BIND 8"
> for Zone Transfer.

	Firstly is the secondary listed in the NS RRset?
	Secondly can the primary resolve the addresses of the secondary?
	Thirdly is the primary sending the notify messages from the same
	address as that listed in the masters clause on the secondary?
	Fourthly does the SOA MNAME match the name of the primary servers?
	Fifthly is there a firewall/NAT blocking or otherwise changing the
	notify message.

	There are ways to address most/all of the potential issues but
	without answers to the above questions people won't be able to
	help you.

	NOTIFY is simple.  The master loads the zone.  It looks up
	the addresses for the nameservers.  It sends the NOTIFY
	message to the slaves (the master is identified by the SOA
	MNAME).  The slave looks at the NOTIFY and the address the
	NOTIFY was from and decided to accept or reject it.  It
	then looks at any SOA record to see if the serial is greater
	than it currently has.  If it is or there was no SOA record
	it starts the standard refresh processing.

> 2. Is any BIND patch available for BIND 9.2.3 on Solaris 9?

	A patch for what?  BIND is distributed freely in source form.
	You can just compile and install the latest release.

> 3. If instead of rndc key if i uses tsig key then will security will
> increase?

	Yes but get everything else working first before you look at
	TSIG.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org